The proteins in rubber can cause an allergic reaction in some people. This reaction can range from sneezing to anaphylactic shock, which is a serious condition that requires immediate medical attention.
The thin, stretchy latex rubber in gloves, condoms and balloons is high in this protein. It causes more allergic reactions than products made of hard latex rubber (like tyres). Also, because some latex gloves are coated with corn starch powder, the latex protein particles stick to the corn starch and fly into the air when the gloves are taken off. In places where gloves are being put on and removed frequently, the air may contain many latex particles.
|This page uses content from LatexWiki (see here); the original article may be viewed here.|