Phobophilia is the sexual attraction to something which causes fear. The word is made out of the words "Phobia" (greek for 'fear') and "Philia" (greek for liking/enjoyment of). Phobias are often used in BDSM to create fear and sexual excitement in a bottom.
Some people have general phobophilia and will become aroused whenever they experience fear; others will only be aroused from specific fears. Some examples of phobophilia include:-
- Acrophilia - Sexual attraction to heights.
- Claustrophilia - Sexual attraction to enclosed spaces.
- Harpaxophilia - Sexual attraction to being robbed.
- Hodophilia - Sexual attraction to new and strange places.
- Symphorophilia - Sexual attraction from creating casualties and disasters.
- Taphephilia - Sexual attraction to being buried alive.
- Xenophilia - Sexual attraction to strangers.
- The Encyclopedia of Unusual Sex Practices by Brenda Love